Let’s start with a little anatomy less, shall we? Your butt is made up of fat and muscle – 3 muscles, in fact. The main muscles in the butt are the gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, and gluteus minimus. Like every other muscle in your body, there’s one highly effective thing you can do to build your butt muscles up and make them bigger. Care to take a guess? If you said exercise, pat yourself on the back because you’re right!
That’s right – if you want to get a bigger butt, you should start doing exercises that target your glutes. Fortunately, there are a lot of killer exercises for getting a bigger butt that can help you get an awesome workout and serious results. Here are 10 of our favorite bigger butt exercises you can add into your workout routine.
The squat is the most foundational butt exercise of them all. It can be performed with or without weights, and in addition to helping you get a bigger butt, it also strengthens your entire core. Here’s how to do them:
- Start with your feet shoulder-width apart
- Squat down like you’re going to sit down, keeping your weight over your heels
- Go down to at least parallel
- Squeeze your butt as you return to the starting position
Like squats, lunges can be done with or without weights. They strengthen the glutes while also helping you stretch and improve your balance. Here’s how to do them:
- Stand tall with your feet together
- Lunge forward with one leg
- Return to starting position
- Repeat with other leg
Walking or running stairs is a killer workout that’s not only good for building butt muscles but also for improving your cardio and conditioning. You can either run an actual set of stairs or bleachers, or you can simply use a stair machine at the gym.
- Hip raises
This simple butt exercise works out your backside while having the added benefit of reducing tightness in your lower back. It’s a slow, steady exercise that’s great for building strength and control. Here’s how to do them:
- Lie down on your back, placing your arms at your sides while bending your knees and planting your feet on the ground
- Slowly lift your hips toward the ceiling in a controlled manner
- Lower yourself back down
- Repeat for one minute
Hop on a bike and hit the open road to get a great workout for sculpting your butt and leg muscles. But don’t just coast and enjoy the scenery. Really push yourself and get a good workout from it. Try to hit some hills, and play with the resistance on your bike to make it a little tougher. You can even cycle in intervals (e.g. 15 seconds as fast as you can, coast for 1 minute, repeat) to ramp things up.
- Hill sprints
Hill sprints might be the fastest way of building strength in your lower body while burning unwanted fat and boosting your conditioning to another level. Yes, they can be incredibly tough, but you can also get a full workout in just 20 minutes or less. Here’s how to do them:
- Always warm up prior to doing hill sprints – stretching and jogging will help
- Sprint uphill for 15 seconds
- Rest 30 seconds
- Repeat for 15-20 minutes
- Walking squats
Ready to challenge yourself and really feel the burn? This is a fun one! Walking squats tone your glutes and work your entire core. Here’s how to do them:
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart
- (Optional: Hold one dumbbell between both hands in front of your chest)
- Bend your knees and sit back into the squat position until your thighs are nearly parallel to the ground
- Holding this squat position, walk to the left by stepping out first with your left foot and then your right
- Take 10 steps to the left, then 10 back to the right
There you have it! By doing these 7 bigger butt exercises on a regular basis, you can sculpt a firmer, bigger butt in no time at all!